The Personal Kaizen team is sharing our 10 Rules for Life. Please watch all of our videos beginning with Rule 1.
RULE 8: Give back to Others.
Helping others is a great way to use the Personal Kaizen 10 Rules for Life in a positive way (maximizing strengths, being proactive and present, experiencing love, learning and growing, etc.).
Giving boosts your physical and mental health and makes you a happier person. Studies show benefits include:
- Lower blood pressure and stress levels
- Reduced depression
- Greater happiness, satisfaction, and self-esteem
- A longer life!
Ideas for Action
The next time you feel depressed or disappointed about something you should volunteer to help someone else. Here are several ways to give back:
- Volunteer to support a local charitable organization. Every community has needs including:
- Serving a meal at a soup kitchen
- Making a meal for a homeless shelter
- Volunteering as a big brother/big sister
- Cleaning trash from a public area or road
- Donate your time to teach or coach kids. Everyone can do this – parent assistants are valuable even though they often know less than the kids!
- Share your experience by joining a non-profit board as a trustee or director. One way to find opportunities is at this site.
- Use your skills to make something that you can donate (arts, crafts, music, etc.). You can also volunteer at something that will teach you a new skill.
- Donate your blood, hair, or organs.
- Buy gifts for kids.
- Donate with your employer.
- Give money to a church or a charitable cause. Be sure to see if you employer offers gift matching – this can double your gift!
- Raise funds for a charity. I helped my kids create a charity raffle when they were younger. We asked several restaurants to donate gift certificates and then created a sign and sold raffle tickets for the free meals. My kids and I raised hundreds of dollars for the charity they chose – the local homeless shelter.
|Suggested Action: Identify one way you can give back that involves a spouse, child, or person in your life. Add this to your calendar so it gets done!|
Please let us know what you think about this rule for life.